Sunday, May 31, 2009

Starting Tomatoes, peppers and eggplant

5-31-09

As I was going through my gardening notes this morning I decided to start trying to keep them here instead of in assorted notebooks where they are hard to find and a search can take days.

Starting tomatoes, peppers and eggplant-

This year I started my early tomatoes(Early Girl) on 1-26-09. That worked well and I will repeat it. I don’t mind handling a couple of huge tomato plants to have good tomatoes early.

I started my main crop of tomatoes on 3-3-09 and this was a little too early as the tomatoes grew too big for my light available before I could plant them out and I had to do an emergency give away before my peppers were ready to plant up. I also need to give one application of liquid kelp when I pot them up and then wait until 2 weeks before they go out to give more. I should start my main crop of tomatoes about two weeks later (~March 15th).

I started my peppers and eggplant on 3-24-09. This seemed a little too late and next year I should start them with the tomatoes on ~March 15th.

No comments: