Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Garden, 10/23/05


Today I harvested all the tomatoes and cut up the plants to put in the compost. I now have an underbed box more than half full of green tomatoes on top of a shelf in the basement. The ones I don't turn into fried green tomatoes should ripen slowly over then next month or so. I will let you know when to last one is rotten or eaten.

As the temperature tonight is supposed to be near freezing, I put floating row cover over the letttuce and carrot seedling that are just growing their first true leaves. I think I planted them too late, but we will see. The other things I planted at the same time, turnips, mache, mesculin mix, will have to fend for themselves. I am still trying to get the hand of fall and winter gardening.

.
These are pictures of some of the butterflies that visited the zinnias today. There were also Monarch butterflies but Ich did not get any pictures of them this time. I'm sure we will try again another time if the cold does not kill the zinnias

1 comment:

truevyne said...

Gorgeous butterflies!